Explore Off the Beaten Path

National Shrine of Saint John Neumann

The National Shrine of St. John Neumann is a Roman Catholic National shrine dedicated to St. John Neumann, the fourth Bishop of Philadelphia and the first American male to be canonized. The shrine is located in the lower church of St. Peter the Apostle Church at 1019 North 5th Street, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the United States. The main church was begun in 1843.

Adjoining the lower church is a small museum, which displays exhibits relating to the life of the saint. The National Shrine of St. John Neumann and St. Peter’s Church are under the care of the Redemptorists, the religious community of which St. John Neumann was a member.

Free Library Rare Book Department Tour

The bequest of William McIntire Elkins, who died in 1947, brought his entire library, containing major collections of Oliver Goldsmith, Charles Dickens and Americana, as well as miscellaneous literary treasures. With the Elkins bequest came the gift of the room itself with its furnishings, through the generosity of his heirs. The installation of the 62-foot-long paneled Georgian room in the third floor of the Central Library at Logan Square took place over the next two years, and the Rare Book Department opened in 1949.

Sedgley Woods Disc Golf Course

Try a leisurely game or get involved in competitive play at this off-beat golf course in a gorgeous wooded section of East Fairmount Park. The trees and the rough, forested terrain of Sedgley Woods provide the perfect natural obstacles to make this game challenging and rewarding. Some holes even offer a view of the Schuylkill River and colonial ruins.

Laurel Hill Cemetery

Laurel Hill Cemetery is a major historic garden cemetery, featuring thousands of 19th- and 20th-century marble and granite funerary monuments include obelisks and elaborately sculpted hillside tombs and mausoleums.

Wagner Free Institute

A rare surviving example of a Victorian era scientific society, this natural history museum has been preserved as it was originally built in 1855.